‘1/1 Volume III Koweit Saudi Relations’ [230r] (464/474)
The record is made up of 1 volume (233 folios). It was created in 30 Mar 1935-4 Jul 1935. It was written in English and Arabic. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
From - Political, Kuwait.
To - Brltoonsul, Bus hire •
No. - 224.
Dated - 4th July 19S5.
For information. Saudi Delegates recent
conference still here. They have been unable to
leave Kuwait owing to extensive repairs required by
some of their cars. Spares ordered from Baghdad and
Karachi expected to arrive tomorrow. Delegates will
probably get away Sunday.
About this item
Correspondence and other papers concerning relations between Kuwait and Saudi Arabia, and efforts to negotiate the lifting of a trade blockade, imposed upon Kuwait at the orders of the King of Saudi Arabia, ‘Abd al-‘Azīz bin ‘Abd al-Raḥmān bin Fayṣal Āl Sa‘ūd (Ibn Sa‘ūd). The volume is a direct chronological continuation of ‘1/1 Volume II Koweit Saudi relations’ (IOR/R/15/5/110), and includes:
- Correspondence concerning the arrangements and negotiations for a conference between Kuwaiti and Saudi delegates, which was held in Kuwait in June 1935.
- Harry St John Bridger Philby’s plans to visit Kuwait around the time of the Kuwait conference, and presumptions amongst British officials as to the purpose of Philby’s visit.
- Copies of correspondence (in Arabic, with English translations) exchanged between the three Kuwaiti and three Saudi conference delegates.
- Notes on the discussions that took place between Kuwaiti and Saudi delegates at the conference, prepared by the Kuwait Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. (ff 137-146, ff 188-204).
- In May 1935, reports of an armed party of Saudis entering Kuwait territory, and a subsequent protest about the territorial infringement made by British officials.
The volume’s principal correspondents are: the Kuwait Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. (Lieutenant-Colonel Harold Richard Patrick Dickson); the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. (Lieutenant-Colonel Trenchard William Craven Fowle); the British Government’s Ambassador to Saudi Arabia (Andrew Ryan).
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (233 folios)
The volume’s contents are arranged in approximate chronological order, from the earliest item at the front to the latest at the end.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the main foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the inside front cover with 1 and terminates at the inside back cover with 235; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio.
Additional foliation sequences are present in parallel between ff 6-233; these numbers are also written in pencil, but are not circled.
- Written in
- English and Arabic in Latin and Arabic script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
‘1/1 Volume III Koweit Saudi Relations’ [230r] (464/474), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/5/111, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100048177797.0x000041> [accessed 5 April 2020]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100048177797.0x000041">‘1/1 Volume III Koweit Saudi Relations’ [‎230r] (464/474)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100048177797.0x000041"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000831.0x00003a/IOR_R_15_5_111_0464.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- ‘1/1 Volume III Koweit Saudi Relations’
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, back-i, 2r:16v, 18r:27v, 29r:55v, 57r:64v, 66r:73v, 75r:78v, 80r:126v, 128r:135v, 137r:153v, 157r:173v, 177r:183v, 187r:199v, 205r:217v, 219r:219v, 221r:223v, 227r:234v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence