Coll 6/15 'Syria: Administration. Question of offer of throne to King Feisal of Iraq.' [51r] (101/497)
The record is made up of 1 file (247 folios). It was created in 13 Jun 1928-15 Dec 1939. It was written in English and French. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
THIS DOCUMENT IS THE PROPERTY OF HIS BRITANNIC MAJESTY’S GOVERNMENT
January 19, 1937.
. 11 ?
Consul MacKereth to Mr. Eden.—(Received January 19.)
(No. 11.) mor-
gj r Damascus, January \c, 193/.
’ WITH reference to my despatches Nos. 78 and 87 of the 26th October and
the 13th December, 1936, about the Franco-Syrian Treaty and the incorporation
of the Alawite Territory into the Syrian Republic, I have the honour to inform
you that Saadullah-al-Jabri, Minister for Internal and External Affairs, on the
10th January officially installed the Mohafiz, Mazhar Reslan, for the newly
created Mohafaza of Latakiya covering the old Alawite Territory.
2. According to Damascus newspaper reports, the ceremony passed off
satisfactorily from the point of view of the Nationalist Government. It is
stated that the hoisting of the Syrian flag over the Mohafiz’s office was a signal
for a remarkable outburst of popular enthusiasm by large crowds, which had
assembled in Latakiya to celebrate this tangible recognition of Syrian unity.
3. I am sending copies of this despatch to His Majesty’s consul-general in
Beirut and His Majesty’s consul in Aleppo.
I have, &c.
About this item
This file relates to the administration of Syria and the possibility of the French Government installing a King of Syria.
The file mostly contains copies of Colonial Office and Foreign Office correspondence, much of which consists of copies of the minutes, memoranda and correspondence of the Committee of Imperial Defence's Standing Official Sub-Committee for Questions Concerning the Middle East, which discuss how the British Government should respond to rumours that the French Government has been approaching both King Feisal of Iraq [Fayṣal bin Ḥusayn bin ‘Alī al-Hāshimī] and his brother, Ali [‘Alī bin Ḥusayn al-Hāshimī], as candidates for the throne of Syria.
Related matters discussed in the correspondence include:
- The British stance on whether Iraq and Syria should be ruled by one king.
- The possibility of Syria becoming a republic rather than a monarchy, with a Syrian as President (an outcome which is deemed to be more suited to British interests).
- Reports in the Turkish press that the ex-Khedive of Egypt, Abbas Hilmi [ʿAbbās Ḥilmī II] has aspirations for the Syrian throne, and that the Turkish Government also favours the ex-Khedive as a candidate.
- Reports that the French Government is contemplating ending its mandate over Syria and is negotiating a treaty with Syria, using the 1930 Anglo-Iraqi Treaty as a basis.
- Details of the Treaty of Alliance between France and Syria (signed on 16 November 1933), and of its suspended ratification.
- Details of the Franco-Lebanese Treaty of Friendship and Alliance, signed on 13 November 1936.
- Egypt's preference for Prince [Muhammad] Abdul Moneim to be installed as King of Syria.
- Ibn Saud's [‘Abd al-‘Azīz bin ‘Abd al-Raḥmān bin Fayṣal Āl Sa‘ūd's] concerns that the throne of Syria might be offered to a Hashimite candidate (i.e. a member of the Hāshimī family).
The principal correspondents are the following: His Majesty's Consul at Damascus (Edwyn Cecil Hole, succeeded by Gilbert Mackereth); the High Commissioner for Iraq (Sir Francis Henry Humphrys and his Acting Commissioner, Hubert Winthrop Young); His Majesty's Ambassador in Baghdad (Humphrys again, and later, Basil Cochrane Newton); the Secretary of State for the Colonies; the British Consul-General at Beirut (Harold Eustace Satow); the High Commissioner for Egypt (Percy Lyham Loraine, succeeded by Miles Wedderburn Lampson); His Majesty's Ambassador in Angora [Ankara] (George Russell Clerk, succeeded by Loraine); the British Minister at Jedda (Sir Reader William Bullard); His Majesty's Chargé d’Affaires, Jedda (Alan Charles Trott); officials of the Colonial Office and the Foreign Office.
The French material in this file consists of several items of correspondence, a copy of the Franco-Syrian Treaty of 1933, a copy of the Franco-Lebanese Treaty of 1936, and copies of extracts from two French language publications (the Lebanese newspaper, L'Orient , and the Damascus newspaper, Les Échos de Syrie ).
The file includes two dividers which give a list of correspondence references contained in the file by year. These are placed at the back of the correspondence.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (247 folios)
The papers are arranged in approximate chronological order from the rear to the front of the file.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence for this description commences at the inside front cover with 1 and terminates at the last folio with 248; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. An external leather cover wraps around the documents; the front inside of this cover has been foliated as f 1. A previous foliation sequence, which is present between ff 12-247 and is also circled, has been superseded and therefore crossed out.
- Written in
- English and French in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Coll 6/15 'Syria: Administration. Question of offer of throne to King Feisal of Iraq.' [51r] (101/497), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/12/2081, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100049603986.0x000068> [accessed 24 October 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100049603986.0x000068">Coll 6/15 'Syria: Administration. Question of offer of throne to King Feisal of Iraq.' [‎51r] (101/497)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100049603986.0x000068"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000555.0x00026b/IOR_L_PS_12_2081_0104.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Coll 6/15 'Syria: Administration. Question of offer of throne to King Feisal of Iraq.'
- front, front-i, 2r:15v, 17r:22v, 27r:49v, 51r:53r, 59r:70r, 73r:78v, 81r:84v, 86r:89v, 92r:97v, 99r:131v, 134r:144v, 146r:150v, 152r:153v, 156r:195v, 199r:211v, 216r:248v, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence