Coll 30/21 'Persian Gulf: Koweit. Blockade by Ibn Saud. Koweit-Nejd Relations' [26r] (62/1142)
The record is made up of 1 file (562 folios). It was created in 15 Mar 1932-13 May 1935. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
There is a difficult in your telegram No.31
of the 19th February about the Koweit blockade which
should perhaps be cleared up.
2. In paragraph 2 of that telegram you cite a
letter from the Sheikh of Koweit to Ibn Saud dated
the 28th August 1933, as containing mention of
"multiple” customs post.
3. We have not been able to trace any letter from
the Sheikh to Ibn Saud bearing that date: but in
Bushire despatch No. 44/757-S of the 27th June 1933
was enclosed the draft (subsequently approved and
despatched) of a reply from the Sheikh to Ibn Saud’s
proposal for the unification of Customs dues. This
letter was assumed at the time to be the letter of the
7th August to which Ibn Saud replied on the 7th September
see our despatch No. 304 of the 13th November 1933 —
and we should not have hesitated to read "August 7th
for your "August 28th" if the Sheikh’s draft letter,
enclosed in the above-mentioned Bushire despatch,
had not, by inference from the letter of the 14th
February 1930 which it quotes, clearly referred to a
"single" and not "multiple" customs posts.
This is a very trivial point: but we should be
grateful if you would help us to dispose of it.
FOREIGN OFFICE, S.W.1.
21st February, 1935.
About this item
This volume contains correspondence between British officials regarding a trade blockade that was imposed on Kuwait by the King of Saudi Arabia, Ibn Sa'ud [‘Abd al-‘Azīz bin ‘Abd al-Raḥmān bin Fayṣal Āl Sa‘ūd]. In addition to this specific topic, the correspondence also contains lengthy discussions regarding Britain's relations with Saudi Arabia and Kuwait more broadly.
As well as internal correspondence between British officials (primarily Britain's Minister in Jeddah, officials at the Political Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. in Kuwait, the Political Residency A diplomatic office of the British Government established in the provinces and regions considered part of, or under the influence of, British India. in Bushire, the India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. and the Foreign Office), the volume also contains translated copies of letters that were sent to British officials by Ibn Sa'ud, two of his close advisors (Yusuf Yassin and Fuad Hamza) and the Ruler of Kuwait, Shaikh Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah.
It also contains a number of extracts from Kuwait Intelligence Summaries produced by the Political Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. in Kuwait and the following documents:
- 'Draft Note of a meeting held at the Foreign Office on Monday, October 8th , regarding the Claims of the Sheikh of Kuwait Against King Ibn Saud' (folios 109-110)
- 'Final Record of Meeting on Matters affecting Kuwait' 8 June 1934 (folios 132-133)
- 'Final Record of a Meeting held at the Foreign Office on October 5  to Discuss Relations Between His Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom and the Sheikh of Koweit' (folios 148-154)
- 'Ibn Saud's attitude towards Kowait' by Sir Andrew Ryan, 16 August 1933 (folios 202-206)
- 'Note on the Contraband Problem of Iraq with Her Neighbours, and in Particular How it Affects Kuwait' by Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. in Kuwait, Harold Richard Patrick Dickson, 29 May 1933 (folios 259-269)
- 'Record of an Interdepartmental Meeting held at the Foreign Office on the 28th April, 1933, to consider the question of the blockade of Koweit by King Ibn Saud' (folios 292-295)
- 'A Note on the present position of Trade between Iraq and Najd' (folios 420-421)
- 'Notes on his Excellency Shaikh Ahmad's Trip to Riath [Riyadh]', 1932 (folios 487-496)
- 'Draft Record of a Meeting Held at the Foreign Office on August 12th, 1931, to Consider Certain Questions Connected with Koweit' (folios 543-562).
The volume includes a divider, which gives a list of correspondence references contained in the volume by year. This is placed at the back of the correspondence.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (562 folios)
The papers are arranged in approximate chronological order from the rear to the front of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the first folio with 1 and terminates at the last folio with 562; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. The foliation sequence does not include the front and back covers, nor does it include the leading and ending flyleaves. A previous foliation sequence, which is also circled, has been superseded and therefore crossed out.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Coll 30/21 'Persian Gulf: Koweit. Blockade by Ibn Saud. Koweit-Nejd Relations' [26r] (62/1142), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/12/3732, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100050207066.0x00003f> [accessed 8 December 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100050207066.0x00003f">Coll 30/21 'Persian Gulf: Koweit. Blockade by Ibn Saud. Koweit-Nejd Relations' [‎26r] (62/1142)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100050207066.0x00003f"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000648.0x000128/IOR_L_PS_12_3732_0062.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Coll 30/21 'Persian Gulf: Koweit. Blockade by Ibn Saud. Koweit-Nejd Relations'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, i-r:ii-v, 1r:35v, 37r:77v, 80r:188v, 190r:223v, 233r:393v, 396r:400v, 402r:405v, 411r:462v, 462ar:462av, 463r:481v, 483r:513v, 517r:527v, 531r:562v, iii-r:iv-v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence