Coll 30/21 'Persian Gulf: Koweit. Blockade by Ibn Saud. Koweit-Nejd Relations' [62r] (134/1142)
The record is made up of 1 file (562 folios). It was created in 15 Mar 1932-13 May 1935. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
[This Document is the Property of His Britannic Majesty’s (3«wnment, and should be
Following is text referred to in my immediately preceding
His majesty's Government cannot fail to be disturbed by
any attempt to cast doubt on their position in regard to matters
affecting foreign relations between Qatar and trucial
Sheikhdoms. That position which is the result of a long
historical process is established by agreements between them
and the rulers which have been communicated to His Majesty
King Abdul Asiz. Any attempt to question it would make a
solution of the question now at issue impossible and would
seriously affect relations between His Majesty's Government and
the Saudi Government. At the same time they drawn the attention
of the Saudi Government to the fact that it has been a constant
object of their policy to promote good relations among all Arab
Addressed to Foreign Office 39, repeated to Government of
India 22, Bahrein for Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. 36.
returned to the Foreign Office if not requiredpfo^b
Decode. Sir A. Ryan (Jedda).
9.1 at h
21st February, 1955.
D. 2.00 p.m. 21st February, 1955.
R. 4-o 15 p.m. 21st February, 1955.
About this item
This volume contains correspondence between British officials regarding a trade blockade that was imposed on Kuwait by the King of Saudi Arabia, Ibn Sa'ud [‘Abd al-‘Azīz bin ‘Abd al-Raḥmān bin Fayṣal Āl Sa‘ūd]. In addition to this specific topic, the correspondence also contains lengthy discussions regarding Britain's relations with Saudi Arabia and Kuwait more broadly.
As well as internal correspondence between British officials (primarily Britain's Minister in Jeddah, officials at the Political Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. in Kuwait, the Political Residency A diplomatic office of the British Government established in the provinces and regions considered part of, or under the influence of, British India. in Bushire, the India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. and the Foreign Office), the volume also contains translated copies of letters that were sent to British officials by Ibn Sa'ud, two of his close advisors (Yusuf Yassin and Fuad Hamza) and the Ruler of Kuwait, Shaikh Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah.
It also contains a number of extracts from Kuwait Intelligence Summaries produced by the Political Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. in Kuwait and the following documents:
- 'Draft Note of a meeting held at the Foreign Office on Monday, October 8th , regarding the Claims of the Sheikh of Kuwait Against King Ibn Saud' (folios 109-110)
- 'Final Record of Meeting on Matters affecting Kuwait' 8 June 1934 (folios 132-133)
- 'Final Record of a Meeting held at the Foreign Office on October 5  to Discuss Relations Between His Majesty's Government in the United Kingdom and the Sheikh of Koweit' (folios 148-154)
- 'Ibn Saud's attitude towards Kowait' by Sir Andrew Ryan, 16 August 1933 (folios 202-206)
- 'Note on the Contraband Problem of Iraq with Her Neighbours, and in Particular How it Affects Kuwait' by Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. in Kuwait, Harold Richard Patrick Dickson, 29 May 1933 (folios 259-269)
- 'Record of an Interdepartmental Meeting held at the Foreign Office on the 28th April, 1933, to consider the question of the blockade of Koweit by King Ibn Saud' (folios 292-295)
- 'A Note on the present position of Trade between Iraq and Najd' (folios 420-421)
- 'Notes on his Excellency Shaikh Ahmad's Trip to Riath [Riyadh]', 1932 (folios 487-496)
- 'Draft Record of a Meeting Held at the Foreign Office on August 12th, 1931, to Consider Certain Questions Connected with Koweit' (folios 543-562).
The volume includes a divider, which gives a list of correspondence references contained in the volume by year. This is placed at the back of the correspondence.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (562 folios)
The papers are arranged in approximate chronological order from the rear to the front of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the first folio with 1 and terminates at the last folio with 562; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. The foliation sequence does not include the front and back covers, nor does it include the leading and ending flyleaves. A previous foliation sequence, which is also circled, has been superseded and therefore crossed out.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Coll 30/21 'Persian Gulf: Koweit. Blockade by Ibn Saud. Koweit-Nejd Relations' [62r] (134/1142), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/12/3732, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100050207066.0x000087> [accessed 9 December 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100050207066.0x000087">Coll 30/21 'Persian Gulf: Koweit. Blockade by Ibn Saud. Koweit-Nejd Relations' [‎62r] (134/1142)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100050207066.0x000087"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000648.0x000128/IOR_L_PS_12_3732_0134.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Coll 30/21 'Persian Gulf: Koweit. Blockade by Ibn Saud. Koweit-Nejd Relations'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, i-r:ii-v, 1r:35v, 37r:77v, 80r:188v, 190r:223v, 233r:393v, 396r:400v, 402r:405v, 411r:462v, 462ar:462av, 463r:481v, 483r:513v, 517r:527v, 531r:562v, iii-r:iv-v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence