Coll 17/4 'Iraq-Syria & Syria-Transjordan frontier: delimitation' [330r] (672/788)
The record is made up of 1 volume (386 folios). It was created in 1 Jun 1921-27 Oct 1932. It was written in English and French. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
Humphrys-Ponsot Draft for combined reference
to the Council of the League of Nations.
In the month of December, 1920, the British
and the French Governments, desirous of finally
settling the problems raised by the assignment to
Great Britain of the Mandates for Palestine and
Mesopotamia, and by the assignment to France of the
Mandate for Syria and the Lebanon, conferred by the
Supreme Council at San Remo, sought by mutual consent
a practical solution of these problems.
The negotiations undertaken for this purpose
by the two governments resulted in the signature of
the Franco-British Convention of 23rd December 1920.
The first article of this Convention fixed the
boundaries between the territories under the British
Mandate and the territories under the French Mandate.
According to the terms of the article 2, a mixed
commission was to be established to trace on the spot
the boundaries so fixed. The same article stipulated
that any dispute that should arise in connexion with
the work of this commission would be referred to the
Council of the League of Nations, whose decision
would be final.
The two Governments subsequently decided that
the Commission should conform to the provisions of
article 29 of the Treaty of Sfevres regarding the
lines to be fixed on the ground.
The commission met in June, 1921, and proceeded
About this item
Papers regarding negotiations to amend the borders between French-mandated Syria, and British-mandated Iraq and Trans-Jordan. The papers discuss the boundaries established by the Sykes-Picot Agreement and the Treaty of Sèvres, the British push for the inclusion of Amadiyah within the Iraq mandated territories, and the issue of tribal groups crossing border regions. The papers primarily consist of communications between the Foreign Office, the Secretary of State for the Colonies, and the High Commissioner for Iraq, with occasional commentary from the India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Political Department.
The file also contains copies of treaties, minutes and appendices from the Committee of Imperial Defence, Standing Sub-Committee for Questions Concerning the Middle East, and minutes and documents circulated by the Council of the League of Nations, including:
- Memorandum by the High Commissioner for Iraq, stating objections to the frontiers established by the Treaty of Sèvres, including two maps, ff 375-380.
- Minutes and appendices of the Foreign Office meeting of 13 July 1931, including copies of the Humphrys-Ponsot Draft for Combined Reference to the Council of the League of Nations, and a copy of the Agreement between HMG Her or His Majesty’s Government in London. and the French Government respecting the Boundary Lines between Syria and Palestine from the Mediterranean to El Hammé, Treaty Series No. 13 (1923), ff 315-349.
- Papers circulated at the Committee of Imperial Defence Sub-Committee meeting of 8 September 1931, including correspondence with the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs concerning the Beirut formula, ff 238-314.
- Minutes of the Committee of Imperial Defence Sub-Committee meeting of 23 September 1931, including a sketch map of the Syria-Trans-Jordan frontier, and a report by the British Resident at Trans-Jordan, ff 141-209.
- Second report by Sir Francis Humphrys on his negotiations in Paris regarding the Syrian frontier, and annexes comprising draft agreements, ff 67-75.
- Excerpt minutes of the 65th Session of the Council of the League of Nations, 9 December 1931, including copies of the joint request for arbitration submitted by Britain and France, ff 48-66; plus minutes of the sessions on 31 October 1931, and 30 January 1932, ff 37-46.
- Copy of the League of Nations Mandate, Report of the Commission entrusted by the Council with the Study of the Frontier between Syria and Iraq, Geneva, 10 September 1932 (Official reference: C. 578. M. 285. 1932. VI), ff 6-28, which includes four maps (IOR/W/L/PS/12/2848 (i), IOR/W/L/PS/12/2848 (ii), IOR/W/L/PS/12/2848 (iii) and IOR/W/L/PS/12/2848 (iv)).
The volume includes a divider giving a list of correspondence references contained in the volume by year. This is placed at the end of the correspondence (folio 4).
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (386 folios)
The papers are arranged in rough chronological order from the rear to the front of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the main foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the inside front cover with 1, and terminates at the inside back cover with 388; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. An additional foliation sequence is present in parallel between ff 4-385; these numbers are also written in pencil, but are not circled.
- Written in
- English and French in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Coll 17/4 'Iraq-Syria & Syria-Transjordan frontier: delimitation' [330r] (672/788), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/12/2848, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100054845817.0x000049> [accessed 14 October 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100054845817.0x000049">Coll 17/4 'Iraq-Syria & Syria-Transjordan frontier: delimitation' [‎330r] (672/788)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100054845817.0x000049"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000602.0x000186/IOR_L_PS_12_3737_00676.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Coll 17/4 'Iraq-Syria & Syria-Transjordan frontier: delimitation'
- 57r:58v, 71r:75v, 85r:88v, 96r:97v, 203r:206v, 260r:263v, 270r:272v, 330r:333v, 334r:343v
- Usage terms
- The copyright status is unknown. Please contact [email protected] with any information you have regarding this item.