File 815/1917 Pt 7 'Persian Gulf:- Lighting and Buoying. Lighthouse Tender, and Despatch Vessel.' [159r] (19/567)
The record is made up of 1 item (282 folios). It was created in 24 Mar 1921-4 Nov 1929. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
.tteply to iiixtract item 14 - Ke&udit observations
from the Assistant Director of Army Audit,
by this office.
the running cost of H.I.M.S. M ^etravati M for the actual
period of employment based on expenditure of H.I.M.S. "Lawrence”
for 1925-26 the year in which the relief actually took place
together with cost of hire has correctly been recovered in the
manner laid, down in para* of G-overnment of ^ndia^ Commerce
department, letter ^0.148-8(25dated 30th Beptr. 1926.
It may further be mentioned that a sum of 14,000/**
on account of hire of “betravati u was included by the Director,
iioyal Indian Marine, in Marine Estimates for 1926-27 but
Government however cut down the provision to is.89,670/- taking
in^Q consideration the period of employment of the vessel in
reliel oj. 'Lawrence“ to be eventually recovered, vide para. 2
of Marine Department letter xs O .802-M., dated 6-8-1926.
■in this connection, please see para. 2 of L.H.I.M*s lette r
^o* 5676-1., dated 21-10-1926 on the above subject, addressed
t0 government of rndia f Uommerce Department, as also this
office endorsement contained in para* 3 of -*o# E/1335 of 18-10-19 25
c °py attached, which fully explains the action taken by this
of!ice* x n this connection, please also see Government of
India, Marine Beptt. bo. 366-M, dated 28th March 19 25 which
outlines the policy of the Government in so far as the Light
house lender and trie relief vessel are concerned*
About this item
This part contains interdepartmental correspondence and memoranda relating to lighting and buoying in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. .
Notable topics of discussion include the following:
- Changes to RIMS Nearchus and its personnel (referred to as its 'revised permanent establishment')
- Proposed new arrangements for financing lighting and buoying in the Gulf
- Proposed alterations to RIMS Lawrence , to enable it to carry out lighting and buoying work in place of Nearchus and in addition to its present duties
- The sale of Nearchus to the Basra Port Directorate
- The estimated cost of alterations to and the upkeep of Lawrence for the performance of its duties as both the despatch vessel for the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. and the lighthouse tender in the Gulf, and how this cost should be shared between British Indian and Imperial revenues
- The cost of a replacement vessel while Lawrence undergoes its annual refit
- Plans for all expenditure relating to lighting and buoying in the Gulf to be recovered by dues on shipping using the lights from 1 November 1925 onwards
- The proposed replacement of Lawrence by Nearchus as lighthouse tender in the Gulf.
The principal correspondents are as follows: the Viceroy of India; the Secretary of State for India; the Director of the Royal Indian Marine; officials of the India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. , the Foreign Office, the Admiralty, the Government of India's Marine Department, the Government of India's Department of Commerce, and the Indo-European Telegraph Department ( Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. Section).
Also included are statements of expenditure for Nearchus and a précis of correspondence concerning Lawrence.
- Extent and format
- 1 item (282 folios)
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
File 815/1917 Pt 7 'Persian Gulf:- Lighting and Buoying. Lighthouse Tender, and Despatch Vessel.' [159r] (19/567), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/10/661/5, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100079404358.0x00007a> [accessed 11 November 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100079404358.0x00007a">File 815/1917 Pt 7 'Persian Gulf:- Lighting and Buoying. Lighthouse Tender, and Despatch Vessel.' [‎159r] (19/567)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100079404358.0x00007a"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000419.0x00022c/IOR_L_PS_10_661_0323.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- File 815/1917 Pt 7 'Persian Gulf:- Lighting and Buoying. Lighthouse Tender, and Despatch Vessel.'
- 150r:198v, 199ar, 200r:227v, 229r:284v, 285ar, 286r:340r, 341r:434v
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence