‘ENCLOSURES TO SECRET LETTERS FROM BOMBAY’, Vol 43 [tail] (6/1362)
The record is made up of 1 volume (677 folios). It was created in 30 Mar 1842-1 Apr 1842. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers Documents collected in a private capacity. .
About this item
The volume contains copies of enclosures to despatches from the Government of Bombay From c. 1668-1858, the East India Company’s administration in the city of Bombay [Mumbai] and western India. From 1858-1947, a subdivision of the British Raj. It was responsible for British relations with the Gulf and Red Sea regions. Secret Department to the East India Company Secret Committee Pre-1784, the Committee responsible for protecting East India Company shipping. Post-1784, its main role was to transmit communications between the Board of Control and the Company's Indian governments on matters requiring secrecy. .
The volume is divided into five items:
- The Slave Trade between the East Coast of Africa and Various Ports in the Persian Gulf The historical term used to describe the body of water between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. and the Red Sea (IOR/L/PS/5/405, ff 3-29)
- Mission to Shoa [the Kingdom of Shewa, within Ethiopia] (IOR/L/PS/5/405, ff 30-182)
- Persian Gulf The historical term used to describe the body of water between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Affairs (IOR/L/PS/5/405, ff 183-363)
- Affairs in Aden and its Hinterland, the Gulf of Aden, and the Lower Part of the Red Sea Coast (IOR/L/PS/5/405, ff 364-436)
- Military Affairs in Scinde and Beloochistan [Sindh and Balochistan] and Elsewhere in Asia (IOR/L/PS/5/405, ff 437-677).
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (677 folios)
The enclosures to each despatch within the volume (each item) are divided by blue dividers (there is an additional divider at folio 369 of IOR/L/PS/5/405, ff 364-436). The sets of enclosures to despatches are arranged in approximate chronological order from the front to the rear of the volume. The enclosures within each despatch (except IOR/L/PS/5/405, ff 437-677) are preceded by an abstract of contents, in which the despatch itself (not included) is numbered 1, the abstract of contents 2, and the enclosures 3, 4, etc. The numbers listed in the abstract of contents are recorded for reference on the verso The back of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'v'. of the last folio of each enclosure, along with the original reference, and a description of each enclosure.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the inside front cover with 1 and terminates at the inside back cover with 679; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. A previous foliation sequence, which is also circled, has been superseded and therefore crossed out.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
‘ENCLOSURES TO SECRET LETTERS FROM BOMBAY’, Vol 43 [tail] (6/1362), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/5/405, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100184303242.0x00001e> [accessed 4 October 2023]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100184303242.0x00001e">‘ENCLOSURES TO SECRET LETTERS FROM BOMBAY’, Vol 43 [‎tail] (6/1362)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100184303242.0x00001e"> <img src="https://iiif.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000319.0x0000dc/IOR_L_PS_5_405_0006.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- ‘ENCLOSURES TO SECRET LETTERS FROM BOMBAY’, Vol 43
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:2v, 678r:678v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence