'File 8/16 Bahrain Diaries 1938 to 1940'
376 items in this record
Search within this record
The record is made up of 1 volume (184 folios). It was created in 19 Jan 1938-15 Jan 1941. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this record
The volume contains fortnightly intelligence summaries produced by the Political Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. at Bahrain for the years 1938-40. The reports, marked as secret, were sent to the Government of India, the India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. , and numerous diplomatic, political, and military offices in the Middle East. Most of the reports cover a two week period, though due to holidays and work pressures some cover an entire month.
The reports are split into short sections that relate to a particular subject. Contained within the reports is intelligence on the following:
- shipping and the activities of the Royal Navy, Royal Air Force, and commercial transport companies such as Imperial Airways Limited;
- the movements of British and Foreign subjects, and Arab notables;
- the affairs of countries of the region, including Bahrain, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Persia [Iran], and the Trucial Coast The historic term used by the British to refer to the Gulf coast of Trucial Oman, now called United Arab Emirates. ;
- trade and the pearling and oil industries;
- the weather and climate.
Folios 166-182 are internal office notes.
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (184 folios)
The volume is arranged chronologically.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the main foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the inside front cover with 1 and terminates at the back cover with 186; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. A previous foliation sequence, which is also circled, has been superseded and therefore crossed out.
- Written in
- English in Latin script
- Archival file
Archive information for this record
- Original held at
- British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers
- Access conditions
- Archive reference
- Former external reference(s)
- 19 Jan 1938-15 Jan 1941 (CE, Gregorian)
Access & Reference
History of this record
Related search terms
Use and share this record
- Share this record
'File 8/16 Bahrain Diaries 1938 to 1940', British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/2/313, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100000000241.0x000118> [accessed 22 February 2020]
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'File 8/16 Bahrain Diaries 1938 to 1940'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:185v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence