The record is made up of 1 volume (33 folios). It was created in 9 Feb 1911-18 Apr 1911. It was written in English and Arabic. The original is part of the British Library: Western Manuscripts.
About this record
The first of two oblong duodecimo volumes containing abbreviated notes recorded by Gertrude Margaret Lowthian Bell, during the course of a journey through Syria, Turkey and Iraq, from Damascus to Aleppo via Baghdad. The volume covers the period 9 February to 18 April 1911, covering Bell’s departure from Damascus to the vicinity of Dara, Turkey. The notes record: places passed or visited; times of arrival and departure; temperature and atmospheric pressure readings; some description of the topographic character of the places passed through; and a number Arabic aphorisms and inscriptions.
The volume also includes:
- descriptions of architecture and mosaics in Damascus, including Malik ez Zahir [Az-Zahiriyah library] (ff 1-3)
- a plan of an unnamed and unidentified building (f 14v)
- five signatures, belonging to the German archaeologists Walter Andrae, Conrad Preusser, Walter Bachmann, Paul Maresch, and Julius Jordan (f 23)
- two profiles, with measurements indicated, of gate mouldings at Dara (f 32)
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (33 folios)
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the main foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the front cover with i, and terminates at the inside back cover with 33; these numbers are written in pencil, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio.
The file has two foliation anomalies f 25A, and f 32A.
- Written in
- English and Arabic in Latin and Arabic script
- Archival file
Archive information for this record
- Original held at
- British Library: Western Manuscripts
- Access conditions
- Archive reference
- Add MS 45158 A
- 9 Feb 1911-18 Apr 1911 (CE, Gregorian)
- Related primary sources
- For accounts of Bell’s 1911 journey, see
The Letters of Gertrude Bell, ed. Lady Bell, i, 1927, pp. 266-306, M. R. Ridley,
Gertrude Bell, 1941, pp. 102-118, and Josephine Kamm,
Daughter of the Desert, 1956, pp. 119-120.
Access & Reference
History of this record
Related search terms
Use and share this record
- Share this record
‘Diary of Gertrude Bell, 1911.’, British Library: Western Manuscripts, Add MS 45158 A, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100000001250.0x000176> [accessed 19 April 2018]
Copyright: How to use this content
- Add MS 45158 A
- ‘Diary of Gertrude Bell, 1911.’
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 1r:25v, 25ar:25av, 26r:32v, 32ar:32av, back-i
- Bell, Gertrude Margaret Lowthian
- Usage terms
- Creative Commons Non-Commercial Licence