'Memo on the Dashtee tribe'
Mss Eur F126/49
16 items in this record
Search within this record
The record is made up of 1 file (8 folios). It was created in 21 Feb 1863-12 May 1863. It was written in Persian and English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this record
The memo contains information in Persian, with English translation, regarding the Dashtee [Dashti] tribe and the villages that are subordinate to it.
For the town of Dashtee (folio 8) the memo gives details of the tribute paid to the Governor of Bushire; for each subordinate village the following information is given:
- Under whose authority the village falls
- The amount, in Tomans, paid as tribute to the Dashti tribe
- The number of households in the village
- The distance, in Fursacs, from the nearest neighbouring village
On the rear cover of the memo (folio 1) are instructions from Lewis Pelly dated 21 February 1863 asking him to provide a translation alongside each section of the memo and a note from Joseph Charles Edwards dated 12 May 1863 noting that the translations have been completed.
As the memo was written in Persian, with English translation added later it should be read from back to front (folio 8-folio1)
The dates provided relate to the request for and completion of the translation into English, the memo itself may be from an earlier date.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (8 folios)
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: This file contains foliation on the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. of each folio, the folio number is given in pencil and is enclosed with a circle.
The first folio of the file has been written on upside down.
- Written in
- Persian and English in Arabic and Latin script
- Archival file
Archive information for this record
- Original held at
- British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers
- Access conditions
- Archive reference
- Mss Eur F126/49
- 21 Feb 1863-12 May 1863 (CE, Gregorian)
Access & Reference
History of this record
Related search terms
- People & organisations
Use and share this record
- Share this record
'Memo on the Dashtee tribe', British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, Mss Eur F126/49, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100000001524.0x0003bc> [accessed 23 March 2019]
Copyright: How to use this content
- Mss Eur F126/49
- 'Memo on the Dashtee tribe'
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence