Skip to item: of 286
Information about this record Back to top
Open in Universal viewer
Open in Mirador IIIF viewer

'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [‎27v] (57/286)

The record is made up of 1 volume (140 folios). It was created in 1904. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.

Transcription

This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.

Apply page layout

10
strata one hut abore another. Bate-grove and some cultivation in vallev;
^initous hills in immediate vicinity. Inhabitants can cross hills to Bas
l] Khaima in one day. '3) (4) Population 200. / Pal|rave put it at 2,000 and
said place was most populous in Ruus el Jvbel. (o) Sluhiyyin. (6) (7) Cattle
procurable. Good water not in any quantity, -birewool dilflcult. According
to Pal^rave, there are oaks, palms, lotos-trees and acacxas m the valley behind.
(8) —(11).
LIYA. —Village. (1) Suburb of Sharga town. (2) Stands on narrow
strip of sand between Sharga creek and sea ; dwellings mostly mat-huts. (3)
Large tower at south end. (4)—(10).
LUBEYDIIA.— Cove mentioned by "Whitelock asnearUmmul Kawein
and sheltered from all winds.
MAD A. Hamlet within Elphinstone Inlet, on south side of neck of Jebel
Sbem peninsula. Wells of good water, said to be best in Inlet.
M AH A MI.—Section of Nairn tribe (P).
MAHDEH.—District or tribe, inland from Shamaliya coast—see map of
Parts of Arabia and Persia.
MAHHARAH.—Map opposite page 15 in Bombay Government Records
XXIY, 1856, shows considerable place of this name on mainland over against
Ras al'Khaima. Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. Pilot, 1898, page 87, mentions small fishing
village on low islet in back-water opposite Ras ui Ivhaima,
MAILI.—Small village (what name ?) on sandy beach in bay on north
face of Musandam peninsula opposite Kun Island, at foot of Jebel Maili.
MAILI (JEBEL).—Remarkable sharp peak on north face of Musandam
promontory, 1,894 feet high. Overhangs slightl? to east.
MAKHI.—Large fishing village with wells of fairly good water on west
side of entrance of Kada cove, between town of Khasab and Ras Sheikh Masud.
MAKLAB.—Bay in west side of an isthmus, which is at one point only
about 400 yards wide and separates Malcolm and Elphinstone Inlets. Bay lies
between Telegraph Islet and Hana and dimensions are about 1 mile each way.
[Is isthmus properly called Maklab, and is there village of this name ?]
MAKTAA.—Creek, 10 miles from Abu Dhabi on route to Bereymi. Can
be crossed by camels at low water. Fort belonging to chief of Abu Dhabi
stands in midst of water to defend crossing against Bedouins. Creek connects
Khor Laffan with Khor of Abu Dhabi; only one ford.
MAN T ASIR.—Section of Beni Yas (?). Palgrave treats them as a distinct
tribe, widely different from the Beni Yas in origin and appearance. He says
they are by tradition, physical outline and dialect a branch of the Abs family
and therefore Nejdeans. Douglas estimates their number at 2,000 and fighting
strength at 400 tin neighbourhood of Hasa) and says their chiefs receive
Turkish subsidies.
MANSUL—Yillage in Malcolm Inlet almost opposite Eilam bay. Alter
native settlement of lilam people.
MAIIPiAR—Tribe some of whom have transferred their allegiance from
Dabai to Sharga.
MATARISH.—Tribe represented at Ras ul Khaima and Abu Hail.
MAZARI 'A.—Tribe who attacked N aim of Bereymi in 1875.
MEPRAZ.—Mentioned by Pal grave as a good-sized village 3 or 4 miles
north of Sharga with handsome palace and better plantations than Sharga. Can
Fasht or Uaira be meant ?
MEHAMA.—Pirates between Sharga and Katar, mentioned in Povah's
Gazetteer of Arabia.
MEiOvv WA (BEDA-EL).—Fourth stage on eastern route from Bereymi
to Hasa.
ME 10TV VV A (B1R-EL).—Sixth stage on western route from Beroymi to
llasa. There is aeaoia jungle and sweet water but wells are deep.
MOKABER.—Place marked in Philip's Map of Arabia, acme distance
south-south-east of Ivhor Dhoan.

About this item

Content

The volume is Part II Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. Gazetteer, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf (Simla: G C Press, 1904).

The volume contains notes, followed by subsections on Trucial Chiefs' Territory, Katar [Qatar], Bahrein [Bahrain], Hasa, and Koweit [Kuwait]. The volume is a geographical and descriptive gazetteer, giving information on alphabetically-listed places in each of the territories in question.

Extent and format
1 volume (140 folios)
Arrangement

There is a table of contents on the title page of the volume.

Physical characteristics

Foliation: the foliation sequence commences at 1 on the front cover, and terminates at 142 on the back cover. These numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and can be found in the top right hand corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. page of each folio. A printed pagination system also runs intermittently throughout the volume.

Written in
English in Latin script
View the complete information for this record

Use and share this item

Share this item
Cite this item in your research

'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [‎27v] (57/286), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/727, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x00003a> [accessed 20 October 2019]

Link to this item
Embed this item

Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.

<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x00003a">'Persian Gulf Gazetteer Part II, Geographical and Descriptive Materials, Section II Western Side of the Gulf' [&lrm;27v] (57/286)</a>
<a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023206838.0x00003a">
	<img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x0002bd/IOR_R_15_1_727_0057.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" />
</a>
IIIF details

This record has a IIIF manifest available as follows. If you have a compatible viewer you can drag the icon to load it.https://www.qdl.qa/en/iiif/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x0002bd/manifestOpen in Universal viewerOpen in Mirador viewerMore options for embedding images

Use and reuse
Download this image