Letter from Lord Elcho to Lewis Pelly [4v] (4/12)
The record is made up of 6 folios. It was created in 21 May 1879-22 May 1879. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this item
Note enclosing copies of Lord Elcho's correspondence with the Duke of Argyll and his thoughts on the section of a book which the Duke had referred to.
- Letter from the Duke of Argyll, Argyll Lodge, Kensington to Lord Elcho, dated 21 May 1879 regarding a notice in the Pall Mall which the Duke assumes means that Lord Elcho will make an 'attack on him in the Commons', his forthcoming departure for America and his explanation that he did not intend his comments to apply personally to Pelly and explaining his justification for his comments in the House of Lords, along with his belief that his narrative (also featured in his book) was accurate as 'no-one had attempted to reply to it' previously.
- Letter from Lord Elcho, 23 St James's Place, London, to the Duke of Argyll, dated 22 May 1879, centering on the Duke's statement that he had not intended his comments to be taken personally by Pelly, and observing that Sir Lewis and his friends would most likely have taken affront at the comments and therefore deserved a public response rather than the private one made to Lord Elcho and requesting he make a statement to that effect in The Times .
- Extent and format
- 6 folios
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Letter from Lord Elcho to Lewis Pelly [4v] (4/12), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, Mss Eur F126/10, ff 3-8, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/mirador/81055/vdc_100023288526.0x000009> [accessed 21 February 2020]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023288526.0x000009">Letter from Lord Elcho to Lewis Pelly [‎4v] (4/12)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023288526.0x000009"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000001524.0x000395/Mss Eur F126_10_0008.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Mss Eur F126/10, ff 3-8
- Letter from Lord Elcho to Lewis Pelly
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence