'File 86/1 III (D 81) Kuwait Oil. Eastern and General Syndicate' [51r] (118/382)
The record is made up of 1 volume (190 folios). It was created in 14 Jun 1932-31 Jan 1933. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
K O A I T.
Draft of Meraorandum for submission to the Sheikh showing
a comparison between draft Concessions submitted by the
Eastern and General Syndicate, and the Anglo-Persian..
Note. The oomparaison is made between the third draft
submitted by the Eastern and Qeneral Syndicate in June
C n ytrfil-lsUlL hftMJLaL
. f . 1932, and the* iirsl draft.submitted by the Anglo - p ersian
*1 'f/d/t'x* a
Oil Company in August 1932.
eastern and General
Eeriodi 70 years (5 years of
which are stated to be for
exploratory work and
selection of areas'.
period: Exploration 2
years. Test Drilling
2 years. Lease 70
Exploration and ^rospectia; .
'iVhichever Company is granted the Concession will
find it necessary to carry out explanatory work as the
geology of the country is much obscured by superficial
deposits. The Eastern and General Syndicate refer rather
Taguely to "exploratory work" by geologists and engineers,
which they undertake to begin within 9 months oi the date
of the Concession, failing which the Sheikh may cancel the
Concession. Nothing is said as to drilling and the
Syndicate require a period of 5 years for their
The Anglo-Persian Oil Comoany ask for a maximum
period of two years for exploratory work, which will be
reduced if they undertake drilling within that period, to
be followed by a maximum period of two years, during
About this item
The volume contains correspondence relating to the draft oil concession agreements presented to the Shaikh of Kuwait (Aḥmad al-Jābir Āl Ṣabāḥ) by the Eastern and General Syndicate Limited, and the Anglo-Persian Oil Company (A.P.O.C.).
The correspondence focuses particularly on the individual clauses within the two draft agreements and a comparison of them for the Shaikh in order that he can make an informed decision on which concession proposal is best for his country. The memorandum comparing the drafts is produced by the Petroleum Department of the British Government and two copies of it are contained in the volume (folios 48-64, 153-161).
Also included in the volume is correspondence between the US Embassy in London and the Foreign Office regarding what the US embassy view as unacceptable delays in the amount of time it has taken the British Government to discuss the question of the Kuwait concession and repeating their concerns that the Eastern and General Syndicate will not be compared favourably alongside the British A.P.O.C. proposal. Also outlined by the Foreign Office are their fears that the Government's delays in responding to the US in this matter could potentially affect more serious negotiations in the future between the two countries.
Other items of interest in the volume include:
- Letters from the Admiralty and the Army Council expressing their concerns over strategic and military assets in the Gulf should American interests be permitted to acquire the oil concession in Kuwait;
- Enquiries from the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. to the Secretary of State for India asking if anything can be done to assist the Shaikh of Kuwait with his grievances regarding his date gardens in Iraq and Ibn Sa'ud's blockade;
- A letter from the Secretary of State, Foreign Office (on behalf of the Secretary for Mines) to the Director of the Eastern and General Syndicate Limited outlining the history and background to an oil concession in Kuwait dating back to 1917 when A.P.O.C. first undertook preliminary examinations in Kuwait and Bahrain (folios 76-81);
- Details of proposals by A.P.O.C. to increase the financial offer of their concession
- Letter from the Political Agent A mid-ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Agency. in Kuwait to the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. in the Persian Gulf Historically used by the British to refer to the sea area between the Arabian Peninsula and Iran. Often referred to as The Gulf or the Arabian Gulf. regarding anti-A.P.O.C. and anti-British propaganda which is being circulated in Kuwait (folios 106-108).
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (190 folios)
The contents of the file have been arranged mostly in chronologically order.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: The principal foliation runs from the first folio to last folios and consists of numbers enclosed in a circle in the top right hand corner. A second former sequence commences on the first folio of writing and concludes on folio 173, consisting of pencil numbers (not circled) in the top right hand corner. This sequence has gaps. Foliation anomalies: 1A-1D, 21A, 162A
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
'File 86/1 III (D 81) Kuwait Oil. Eastern and General Syndicate' [51r] (118/382), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/1/640, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023610191.0x000077> [accessed 7 December 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023610191.0x000077">'File 86/1 III (D 81) Kuwait Oil. Eastern and General Syndicate' [‎51r] (118/382)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023610191.0x000077"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000193.0x000266/IOR_R_15_1_640_0118.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'File 86/1 III (D 81) Kuwait Oil. Eastern and General Syndicate'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 1r:1v, 1ar:1dv, 2r:5v, 7v:21v, 21ar:21av, 22r:22v, 24v:41v, 42v:116v, 116ar:116av, 117r:127v, 130v:170v, 171v:172v, 173v:180v, i-r:i-v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence