Skip to item: of 612
Information about this record Back to top
Open in Universal viewer
Open in Mirador IIIF viewer

'History of the imâms and seyyids of 'Omân by Salîl-ibn-Razîk, from A.D. 661-1856; translated from the original Arabic, and edited with notes, appendices, and an introduction, continuing the history down to 1870, by George Percy Badger, F.R.G.S., late chaplain in the Presidency of Bombay.' [‎4] (165/612)

The record is made up of 1 volume (435 pages). It was created in 1871. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: Printed Collections.

Transcription

This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.

Apply page layout

t
THE IMAMS OF OMAN.
who knew nothing of the approach of the 20,000 men by
sea. On the arrival of the latter at el-Yunaniyyah 1 of Julfar,
a man of the people of Tawwam 3 informed them of Sulei
man's proceedings, telling them how he had gone forth with
his army and defeated their companions who had travelled
by land, and that after the victory dissensions had broken
out among his followers, which led to his being abandoned
by all except a few trusty adherents.
On MujjaaVs arrival at Barkah he was met by Said-bin-
'Abbad, Suleiman's uterine brother, and a severe conflict took
place between them till darkness separated the combatants.
On surveying the two armies, Said perceived that his was
like a white hair in the hide of a black bull compared with
that under Mujjaah ; so, having already lost a number of men
in killed and wounded, he retired with the remainder the
same night, and taking with him some of his own and his
brother's relatives he repaired to the Jebel-el-Akbar, the
mountain of the Benu-Riyam, called also the Jebel-el-Akh-
dar, and likewise Rudhwan. The enemy followed, but being
1 Probably a village on the western littoral of the promontory, which
was sometimes called " Julfar" and sometimes " es-Sirr," from the two
most prominent localities on that coast. It is remarkable that onr
modern maps and charts omit the town of Julfar, which was situated
below Khasab, not far from Cape Musdndim. Ludovico di Varthema
touched at the place about a.d . 1505, and describes it as having a good
seaport. It was occupied a few years later by the Portuguese, who re
tained it chiefly for the sake of its pearl-fisheries, until they were expelled
by the Imam Nasir -bin-Murshid, a.d . 1633. The town and fort were
destroyed by a combined British and Maskat expedition in 1819, in reta
liation for several acts of piracy committed by vessels belonging to the
resident tribe.
2 Tawwam was the old name of el-Bereimy, as the author frequently
remarks in the sequel. Captain Hamerton, who visited the town in
1850, describes it as of considerable size, situated in a very fertile and
well -watered district, and defended by two forts. It has always been a
rallying point for the Wahhabis whenever they made inroads into
'Oman 0 It is now held by the Benu-Na'lm, who pay tribute to the
Wahhaby Amir.

About this item

Content

History of the imâms and seyyids of 'Omân by Salîl-ibn-Razîk, from A.D. 661-1856; translated from the original Arabic, and edited with notes, appendices, and an introduction, continuing the history down to 1870, by George Percy Badger, F.R.G.S., late chaplain in the Presidency of Bombay.

Author: Hamid ibn Muhammad ibn Ruzayq

Publication details: London: Printed for the Hakluyt Society

Physical Description: initial roman numeral pagination (i-cxxviii); with map.

Extent and format
1 volume (435 pages)
Arrangement

The volume contains a table of contents giving chapter headings and page references. There is an index to the principal names at the back of the volume.

Physical characteristics

Dimensions: 210mm x 130mm

Written in
English in Latin script
View the complete information for this record

Use and share this item

Share this item
Cite this item in your research

'History of the imâms and seyyids of 'Omân by Salîl-ibn-Razîk, from A.D. 661-1856; translated from the original Arabic, and edited with notes, appendices, and an introduction, continuing the history down to 1870, by George Percy Badger, F.R.G.S., late chaplain in the Presidency of Bombay.' [‎4] (165/612), British Library: Printed Collections, Arab.D.490, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023697835.0x0000a6> [accessed 10 December 2019]

Link to this item
Embed this item

Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.

<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023697835.0x0000a6">'History of the imâms and seyyids of 'Omân by Salîl-ibn-Razîk, from A.D. 661-1856; translated from the original Arabic, and edited with notes, appendices, and an introduction, continuing the history down to 1870, by George Percy Badger, F.R.G.S., late chaplain in the Presidency of Bombay.' [&lrm;4] (165/612)</a>
<a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023697835.0x0000a6">
	<img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100023512924.0x000001/Arab.D.490_0167.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" />
</a>
IIIF details

This record has a IIIF manifest available as follows. If you have a compatible viewer you can drag the icon to load it.https://www.qdl.qa/en/iiif/81055/vdc_100023512924.0x000001/manifestOpen in Universal viewerOpen in Mirador viewerMore options for embedding images

Use and reuse
Download this image