File 600/1905 Pt 4 'Aden Hinterland: Proposed Treaties with the Sultans of Beda and Audali; Treaty with Beda held in abeyance' [210v] (52/158)
The record is made up of 1 item (78 folios). It was created in Jan 1903-Dec 1914. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
6 . The Audali-Beda quarrel of long standing have recently been patched up
under the auspices of the Fadthli Sultan and we anticipate that the routes will
now be secure and the volume of trade—already potentially great—increase.
7. We can, if Government so wish, tell Ali bin Abdallah, the Beda Sultan,
that we are his friends and we hope to maintain cordial relations with him and his
people, but I fear that this will be wholly unintelligible to him. The Arab believes
only what he can see: he wants something more tangible than words. Again,
although in theory we reserve our right of dealing with the Chief as the spokesman
of his tribesmen, yet in practice this will not work in democratic Arabia, and in dis
appointing a chief we embitter his tribesmen and so extend the area of discontent
which spreads throughout the country.
i 8.11 is, therefore, in my opinion imperative, looking to our isolation in’Aden,
to cement our friendship within and to include the Chiefs periodically to come in
to see the Resident. We can have no bold on a chief with whom we have no
paper engagement, and we cannot afiord to give so important a chief as Beda the
9. I trust that His Excellency the Governor in Council will review his decision
and press Beda’s claims before the Government of India. The Audali’s claims are
scarcely less important. He is still pressing for the treaty.
No. 4056, dated Bombay Castle, the 16th June 1911.
From—C. A. Kincaid, Esq., Secretary to the Government of Bombay, Political
To—The Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. , Aden.
I am directed to acknowledge the receipt of your letter No. C-182, dated the
13th May 1911, reiterating your request for the conclusion of a treaty with the
2 . In reply I am to state that Government regret that the reasons advanced
by you are still, in their opinion, not sufficiently strong for pressing upon the
Government of India the proposal put forward by you.
About this item
Part 4 of the file relates to negotiations over treaties with the Beda and Audali tribes of the Aden hinterland.
The correspondents include:
- Political Residency A diplomatic office of the British Government established in the provinces and regions considered part of, or under the influence of, British India. at Aden;
- Government of Bombay;
- Viceroy of India;
- India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. , London;
- Foreign Office, London.
The papers cover several matters, including:
- an attack by Saidi and Hasani tribes on a British survey party in January 1904;
- the conclusion of a protectorate treaty with the Audali tribe on 19 September 1914;
- a delay in securing a treaty with the Beda tribe and the reasons behind it.
- Extent and format
- 1 item (78 folios)
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
File 600/1905 Pt 4 'Aden Hinterland: Proposed Treaties with the Sultans of Beda and Audali; Treaty with Beda held in abeyance' [210v] (52/158), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/10/75/1, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100026748151.0x00001a> [accessed 22 August 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100026748151.0x00001a">File 600/1905 Pt 4 'Aden Hinterland: Proposed Treaties with the Sultans of Beda and Audali; Treaty with Beda held in abeyance' [‎210v] (52/158)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100026748151.0x00001a"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000365.0x0003a0/IOR_L_PS_10_75_0431.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- File 600/1905 Pt 4 'Aden Hinterland: Proposed Treaties with the Sultans of Beda and Audali; Treaty with Beda held in abeyance'
- 185r:188v, 190r:199v, 202r:226v, 228r:263v
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence