Skip to item: of 706
Information about this record Back to top
Open in Universal viewer
Open in Mirador IIIF viewer

'GAZETTEER OF PERSIA. VOLUME II' [‎7r] (18/706)

This item is part of

The record is made up of 1 volume (349 folios). It was created in 1914. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.

Transcription

This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.

Apply page layout

Confidential.
GAZETTEER OF PERSIA.
VOLUME II.
ABADl— Elev. 6,780'.
A small village on the Zindeh-rud, 22 miles from Imamzideh Isma’il
(7;^-)’ surrounded by poplars, vines and fields of wheat and hailey.—(Beli
AB-BARIK.
A small district in the buliik of Sahneh, Kirmanshah composed of the
seven following hamlets which all bear the name of Ab-barik.
Najafabad and Hasanabad (on the road from Bisitun to Sahneh.) Daulat-
abad, Raisavand, ’Abbasabad, Sangchin and Milleh.
The inhabitants are Lurs and Khazals. The revenue is Ts. 206 cash no
grain. The I jar eh or rent is 600 Khar ears grain and Ts. 300 cash.
Cultivation : grain, garden crops, opium. Proprietor : Vakil-ud-Danlph
See Kuliai— (Rabino, 1907).
’ABBAS—
A Christian village in Azarbaijan, 8 miles north of Urumieh on the road
to Guchi. It is surrounded by vineyards and other cultivation. Sunnlies
and water plentiful. ^
’ABBASABiLD (1) —Elev. 1,900'.
Known as Izadabad before the time of ’Abb’s M rzh.
A deserted walled town standing high on the left bank of the Aras
the direct and easiest line of communication between the rich valley of
Nakhjivan and Khoi. It was once a flourishing town and owed its pros
penty to Armenian enterprise to whose energy and art its cut-stone
church and ruined embankment yet testify. Before the Russian war in
the early part of the 19th century, the banks were connected by a bridge of
boats. After the war the opening of roads to Julfa and Shah Takht as main
lines of communication, soon caused the place to be deserted. Parallel t
the river on the Persian side is a low line of earthworks, about 200 or 300
yards long, relics of the time of ’Abbas Mirza. The country is barren and
salt. A semicircular piece o land (radius 3| versts or 4,083 yards) on IL
right bank of the Aras opposite ’Abbasabad, became Russian territorv in
virtue of the Turkmanchai treaty (1828), but was restored to Persia
together with the village Hisar on the Khorasan—Trans-Caspian frontier in
C300GSB ' m

About this item

Content

The item is Volume II of the four-volume Gazetteer of Persia (1914 edition).

The volume comprises the north-western portion of Persia, bounded on the west by the Turco-Persian frontier; on the north by the Russo-Persian frontier and Caspian Sea; on the east by a line joining Barfarush, Damghan, and Yazd; and on the south by a line joining Yazd, Isfahan, and Khanikin.

The gazetteer includes entries on human settlements (towns, villages, provinces, and districts); communications (roads, bridges, halting places, caravan camping places, springs, and cisterns); tribes and religious sects; and physical features (rivers, streams, valleys, mountains and passes). Entries include information on history, geography, climate, population, ethnography, resources, trade, and agriculture.

Information sources are provided at the end of each gazetteer entry, in the form of an author or source’s surname, italicised and bracketed.

A Note (folio 4) makes reference to a map at the end of the volume; this is not present, but an identical map may be found in IOR/L/MIL/17/15/4/1 (folio 636) and IOR/L/MIL/17/15/4/2 (folio 491).

Printed at the Government of India Monotype Press, Simla, 1914.

Extent and format
1 volume (349 folios)
Arrangement

The volume contains a list of authorities (folio 6) and a glossary (folios 343-349).

Physical characteristics

Foliation: the foliation sequence for this description commences at the front cover with 1, and terminates at inside back cover with 351; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. Pagination: the volume also contains an original printed pagination sequence.

Written in
English in Latin script
View the complete information for this record

Use and share this item

Share this item
Cite this item in your research

'GAZETTEER OF PERSIA. VOLUME II' [‎7r] (18/706), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/MIL/17/15/3/1, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100034644542.0x000013> [accessed 18 November 2019]

Link to this item
Embed this item

Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.

<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100034644542.0x000013">'GAZETTEER OF PERSIA. VOLUME II' [&lrm;7r] (18/706)</a>
<a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100034644542.0x000013">
	<img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100025472757.0x000001/IOR_L_MIL_17_15_3_1_0018.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" />
</a>
IIIF details

This record has a IIIF manifest available as follows. If you have a compatible viewer you can drag the icon to load it.https://www.qdl.qa/en/iiif/81055/vdc_100025472757.0x000001/manifestOpen in Universal viewerOpen in Mirador viewerMore options for embedding images

Use and reuse
Download this image