Coll 6/84 'Yemen: Attitude of Yemeni Govt. towards the Italo-Ethiopian dispute. Policy of H.M.G. in event of Italian occupation of Yemeni territory.' [54r] (107/699)
The record is made up of 1 file (348 folios). It was created in 22 Mar 1934-1 Nov 1939. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.
use of them as you may consider desirable with a view to
elucidating the at? te of affairs* They are free to make
out their own cruise programmes which are subject only to
the concurrence of the Adair Ity and myself, and in peace
time I see no reason why they should not be used as you
I attach for your information a copy of a Naval
Appreciation of the Red : ea situation which I recently
forwarded to the Admiralty* n view of its moat secret
nature perhaps lour Excellency may consider it desirable
to destroy it afte perusal*
I much regret that I have so far not had the
opportunity of meetiiio four Excellency as you were home
on leave during all the time I was at Aden* I am looking
forward however to hearing your views on the matters
discussed in this letter*
I have, etc.
(Signed) A* Ramsay.
P.q. The latest Naval Intelligence, just received,
indicates that during the period 1st September 19-6
to 6 th May 1937 approxi lately 3,525 Yemeni subjects
went to Eritrea on enlistment b r the Italians as
labourers, and that of these approximately l,16d
returned to the Yemen bringing back with them a
total sum estimated at about 1,690,962 lire.
About this item
This file relates to Italian activities in the Middle East, particularly in the Yemen. The correspondence includes discussion of the following:
- British policy in the event of the Italians occupying Sheikh Said [Ra’s Shaykh Sa‘īd], or any other part of the Yemen.
- The Yemen's position in the Italo-Abyssinian conflict [Italo-Ethiopian War].
- Relations between Ethiopia and the Yemen.
- Italian activities in the Yemen.
- British suspicions regarding Italian activities in the Yemen.
- Future British policy in the Yemen.
- Internal affairs in the Yemen.
- Anglo-Italian relations in the Middle East, and the likelihood of Italy violating the Rome Understanding of 1927.
- Ibn Saud's [‘Abd al-‘Azīz bin ‘Abd al-Raḥmān bin Fayṣal Āl Sa‘ūd] view on Italian activity in the region.
- The visits of Italian destroyers to Kamaran Island in March 1937 and January 1938.
- British and French concerns that Italy, following its denunciation of the Franco-Italian Agreement of 1935, seeks possession of the Island of Doumeira [Dumēra Desēt, Red Sea, also spelled Dumeira in the file], currently under French control.
The file features the following principal correspondents: His Majesty's Minister at Jedda (Sir Andrew Ryan, succeeded by Sir Reader William Bullard); the Political Resident A senior ranking political representative (equivalent to a Consul General) from the diplomatic corps of the Government of India or one of its subordinate provincial governments, in charge of a Political Residency. , Aden (Sir Bernard Rawdon Reilly); the Governor of Aden (Reilly again); the High Commissioner, Cairo (Sir Miles Lampson); His Majesty's Ambassador in Cairo (Lampson again); His Majesty's Chargé d'Affaires, Alexandria (John Cecil Sterndale Bennett); His Majesty's Ambassador in Paris (Eric Phipps); His Majesty's Ambassador in Rome (Eric Drummond); the British Consul General, Jibuti [Djibouti] (Herbert George Jakins); the British Naval Commander-in-Chief, East Indies Station (Vice-Admiral Alexander Robert Maule Ramsay); the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs (Anthony Eden); the Secretary of State for the Colonies (James Henry Thomas, succeeded by William George Arthur Ormsby-Gore); officials of the Foreign Office, the Colonial Office, and the Air Ministry.
In addition to correspondence, the file includes the following: copies of extracts from Aden political intelligence summaries; copies of the minutes of meetings of the Committee of Imperial Defence's Standing Official Sub-Committee for Questions Concerning the Middle East, dated 26 November 1935, 14 December 1936, and 8 June 1937 respectively; a copy of a translation of a treaty of friendship and commerce between the Ethiopian and Yemeni governments, which was ratified on 21 September 1935.
The file includes a divider which gives a list of correspondence references contained in the file by year. This is placed at the back of the correspondence (folios 2).
- Extent and format
- 1 file (348 folios)
The papers are arranged in approximate chronological order from the rear to the front of the file.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the inside front cover with 1, and terminates at the last folio with 349; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. A previous foliation sequence, which is also circled, has been superseded and therefore crossed out.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Coll 6/84 'Yemen: Attitude of Yemeni Govt. towards the Italo-Ethiopian dispute. Policy of H.M.G. in event of Italian occupation of Yemeni territory.' [54r] (107/699), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/12/2157, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100041685365.0x00006e> [accessed 23 February 2020]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100041685365.0x00006e">Coll 6/84 'Yemen: Attitude of Yemeni Govt. towards the Italo-Ethiopian dispute. Policy of H.M.G. in event of Italian occupation of Yemeni territory.' [‎54r] (107/699)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100041685365.0x00006e"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000555.0x0002b7/IOR_L_PS_12_2157_0110.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Coll 6/84 'Yemen: Attitude of Yemeni Govt. towards the Italo-Ethiopian dispute. Policy of H.M.G. in event of Italian occupation of Yemeni territory.'
- front, front-i, 2r:128v, 132r:258v, 263r:263v, 265r:281v, 284r:301v, 303r:338v, 340r:343v, 345r:349v, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence