Coll 15/3(1) 'Egypt. Abolition of Capitulations in Montreux Conference and Convention 1937' [front] (1/1220)
The record is made up of 1 volume (606 folios). It was created in 31 Dec 1936-18 Apr 1939. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this item
The volume comprises telegrams, despatches, letters, correspondence, memoranda, notes and Parliamentary questions relating to the 1937 Montreux Conference on the abolition of capitulations in Egypt. These capitulations had created extra-territorial jurisdiction for many foreign powers in Egypt, including Britain, France, Italy and Belgium. This negotiation of the revision of the capitulations was one of the provisions of the 1936 Anglo-Egyptian Treaty.
The correspondence in the volume relates mainly to British interests and negotiating issues as well as the difference between British subjects, British protected persons and citizens; errors in some of the drafting and how these mistakes should be rectified, and the process of ratification of the convention by all parties concerned including the Egyptian Government and the governments of the Dominions.
Included in the volume are the following documents:
- a printed copy of the 'Statutory Rules and Orders, 1937 No. 936 FOREIGN JURISDICTION The Egypt Order in Council A regulation issued by the sovereign of Great Britain on the advice of the Privy Council (in modern practice, upon the advice of government ministers). , 1937' (ff 116-139)
- a printed report (ff 295-312) to Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, Antony Eden, on the proceedings of the Montreux Conference for the abolition of Capitulations in Egypt
- 'Egypt No. 1 (1936) Treaty of Alliance between His Majesty, in respect of the United Kingdom and his Majesty the King of Egypt ... Convention concerning the Immunities and Privleges to be enjoyed by the British Forces in Egypt, London, August 26, 1936' (Cmd. 5270) (ff 574-589)
- 'Instruments signed at Montreux on May 8th, 1937' and 'Report on the Convention regarding the abolition of capitulations ...' (in French and English) (ff 363-435)
- a printed memorandum 'Procedure for Giving Effect to Capitulations: Provisions of Anglo-Egyptian Treaty' (ff 590-601)
The volume features the following principal correspondents: the Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs (Anthony Eden); HM High Commissioner to Egypt and Sudan (Sir Miles Wedderburn Lampson); the Secretary of State for Dominion Affairs, Dominions Office; Under-Secretary of State for Dominion Affairs, Dominions Office; President of the Council of Ministers, Cairo (Mustapha El-Nahas).
The volume includes a divider which gives a list of correspondence references contained in the volume by year. This is placed at the back of the correspondence.
- Extent and format
- 1 volume (606 folios)
The papers are arranged in rough chronological order from the rear to the front of the volume.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the inside front cover with 1, and terminates at the inside back cover with 608; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio.
- Written in
- English in Latin script View the complete information for this record
Use and share this item
- Share this item
Coll 15/3(1) 'Egypt. Abolition of Capitulations in Montreux Conference and Convention 1937' [front] (1/1220), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/12/2764, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100062749759.0x000002> [accessed 23 May 2019]
Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.
<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100062749759.0x000002">Coll 15/3(1) 'Egypt. Abolition of Capitulations in Montreux Conference and Convention 1937' [‎front] (1/1220)</a> <a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100062749759.0x000002"> <img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000602.0x00012e/IOR_L_PS_12_2764_0001.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" /> </a>
Copyright: How to use this content
- Coll 15/3(1) 'Egypt. Abolition of Capitulations in Montreux Conference and Convention 1937'
- front, back, spine, edge, head, tail, front-i, 2r:8v, 10r:13v, 15r:28v, 30r:88v, 92r:140v, 142r:147v, 150r:164v, 167r:182v, 184r:185v, 187r:202v, 205r:212v, 214r:310v, 313r:361v, 436r:439v, 441r:443v, 446r:486v, 489r:503v, 506r:530v, 533r:550r, 552r:589v, 591r:607v, back-i
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence