Skip to item: of 578
Information about this record Back to top
Open in Universal viewer
Open in Mirador IIIF viewer

‘A collection of treaties, engagements and sanads relating to India and neighbouring countries’ [‎174] (497/578)

The record is made up of 1 volume (289 folios). It was created in 1933. It was written in English and French. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.

Transcription

This transcription is created automatically. It may contain errors.

Apply page layout

clxxiv
AFGHANISTAN—APPENDIX NO. 1—1888.
side of the road from Shibarghan to Kara Tepe Khurd and Tash Kuduk and 150
yards to the north of the main or southernmost of the two Kara Tepe Khurd Kaks,
both of which remain on the Afghan side of the frontier. From pillar No. 68 the
frontier turns in a north-easterly direction and runs in a straight line for 5^ miles
to pillar No. 69 on the top of a slight rise 30 yards to the south of the road running
from Kara Tepe Kalan to Dunguz Surt and thence on in the same straight line
for 4i miles to pillar No. 70 built on a fairly high and solid mound among low sand
hills half a mile to the east of the main road from Kara Tepe Kalan to Bosagha
and exactly midway and in a straight line between the wells of east and west Kata-
baji, the former of which remains to Afghanistan and the latter to Bokhara.
From this point the boundary runs due north in a straight line for nearly 6f miles
to pillar No. 71 which stands about midway between the wells of Alikadim and
Chahi, to the north side of the road between them and close to the point where
the road from Alikadim via Deb Kilah to Khamiab forks from the road to Chahi.
The pillar stands on a low rise in the dry water-course that runs past Alikadim
westwards towards Dunguz Surt. From here the frontier runs north by east in
a straight line for 6§ miles to pillar No. 72 on a small patch of sound open ground
amid sand hills, about half a mile outside the edge of the Khamiab cultivation and
thence on in a straight line for half a mile to pillar No. 73, built at the mouth of
the road that runs through the cultivation along the Buz Arik canal. The pillar
stands at the south-west corner of the compound of Muhammad Wali Sufi’s house.
From pillar No. 73 the boundary runs for 365 yards up the centre of this road to
pillar No. 74 built on the east side of the road at the point where it crosses the
Buz Arik canal by a wooden bridge, at the northern end of this bridge and on the
western bank of the canal, which here turns off to the west into Bosagha land.
From pillar No. 74 the boundary follows the course of the Buz Arik canal for 3
miles through the cultivation to pillar No. 75. The canal throughout this distance
belongs entirely to Bosagha, the trees along its left or southern bank belonging
to Khamiab and those on its northern bank to Bosagha.
Pillar No. 75 is built on the northern bank of the Buz Arik or Yangi Arik canal
at a distance of 15 yards to the east of the wooden bridge over that canal, situated
about 200 yards to the north-east of Aral Bai’s house and 250 yards north-west
of Kara’s house. From this point the boundary turns northwards across the
canals and river flats and runs pretty well in a straight line to the bank of the
river. From pillar No. 75 the line follows a low earthen bank or ridge for 182
yards to pillar No.76 on the top of the southern bank of the Mirza Beg Ibdal canal,
and thence for 155 yards further, during which it crosses the Mirza Beg Ibdal the
Nikcha, the Shaikh Arik, and the Saligh canals to pillar No.77 built on the northern
bank of the Saligh canal 50 yards to the east of the canal crossing east of Juma
Bai’s house, and at a point marked by the remains of some old canal which has
been here cut through obliquely by the Shaikh Arik and Saligh canals. From
here the boundary follows the line of the track running from the canal crossing
above mentioned in a direction slightly to the east of north across the river flat
to pillar No. 78 built on the south bank of a small creek crossed by the track, at a
distance of 736 yards from pillar No. 77 and thence on in the same straight line

About this item

Content

The volume is the fifth edition of volume 13 of a collection of historic treaties, engagements and sanads (charters) relating to India and its neighbouring countries, namely Persia and Afghanistan. This volume, originally compiled by Charles Umpherston Aitchison, Under Secretary to the Government of India in the Foreign Department, was revised in 1930 and published in 1933 by the Manager of Publications in Delhi, under the authority of the Government of India.

Part 1 of the volume contains treaties and engagements relating to Persia and dating from between 12 April 1763 and 10 May 1929. The treaties refer to: trade agreements; foreign relations; prohibition and suppression of the slave trade; sovereignty and status of Persian regions; frontier negotiations; foreign concessions; telegraph lines. Part 2 of the volume contains treaties and engagements relating to Afghanistan and dating from between 17 June 1809 and 6 May 1930. The treaties relate to: foreign relations; the establishment of boundaries and frontier negotiations; peace treaties; commercial relations; import of arms. A number of appendices follow part 2, which contain the text of treaties relating to both Persia and Afghanistan.

Extent and format
1 volume (289 folios)
Arrangement

The volume is arranged into two parts covering Persia and Afghanistan respectively, as are the appendices at the end of the volume. Each part is divided into a number of chapters, identified by Roman numerals, and arranged chronologically, from the earliest treaties to the most recent. At the beginning of each part is a general introduction to the treaties and engagements that follow.

There is a contents page at the front of the volume (ff 4-8) which lists the geographical regions and treaties. The contents pages refers to the volume’s pagination system. There is a subject index, arranged alphabetically, at the end of the volume (ff 277-87) which also refers to the volume’s pagination system.

Physical characteristics

Foliation: The foliation sequence commences at the inside front cover, and terminates at the inside back cover; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio (except for the front cover where the folio number is on the verso The back of a paper sheet or leaf. ).

Pagination: The volume also contains an original printed pagination sequence.

Written in
English and French in Latin script
View the complete information for this record

Use and share this item

Share this item
Cite this item in your research

‘A collection of treaties, engagements and sanads relating to India and neighbouring countries’ [‎174] (497/578), British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/L/PS/20/G3/14, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100023947392.0x000062> [accessed 21 October 2019]

Link to this item
Embed this item

Copy and paste the code below into your web page where you would like to embed the image.

<meta charset="utf-8"><a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023947392.0x000062">‘A collection of treaties, engagements and sanads relating to India and neighbouring countries’ [&lrm;174] (497/578)</a>
<a href="https://www.qdl.qa/en/archive/81055/vdc_100023947392.0x000062">
	<img src="https://images.qdl.qa/iiif/images/81055/vdc_100000000884.0x0003bf/IOR_L_PS_20_G3_14_0497.jp2/full/!280,240/0/default.jpg" alt="" />
</a>
IIIF details

This record has a IIIF manifest available as follows. If you have a compatible viewer you can drag the icon to load it.https://www.qdl.qa/en/iiif/81055/vdc_100000000884.0x0003bf/manifestOpen in Universal viewerOpen in Mirador viewerMore options for embedding images

Use and reuse
Download this image