'File 8/16 Bahrain Intelligence Summaries'
330 items in this record
Search within this record
The record is made up of 1 file (163 folios). It was created in 1 Jan 1943-31 Dec 1944. It was written in English. The original is part of the British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers.
About this record
The file contains fortnightly intelligence summaries produced by the Political Agency An office of the British Government and, earlier, of the East India Company. at Bahrain for the years 1943-44. The reports, marked as secret, were sent to the Government of India, the India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. , and numerous diplomatic, political, and military offices in the Middle East. Each report covers a two week period.
The reports are divided into short sections that relate to a particular subject, often closely connected to the Second World War. Contained within the file is intelligence on the following:
- international shipping and the activities of the Royal Navy, Royal Air Force, and commercial transport companies such as Imperial Airways Limited;
- the movements of British and Foreign subjects, and Arab notables;
- local affairs of Bahrain, as well as regional news from Saudi Arabia, Qatar (particularly Zubarah 18th-century town located 105 km from Doha. ), Persia [Iran], and the Trucial Coast The historic term used by the British to refer to the Gulf coast of Trucial Oman, now called United Arab Emirates. ;
- economic matters and food supplies;
- the activities of the oil companies;
- War funds;
- defence matters;
- smuggling of gold and arms and the traffic of slaves;
- American interests;
- meteorological information;
- medical matters.
Appended to most reports is a table containing shipping data.
Written by hand on the cover of the file is: 'Destroy, but retain '44 summaries'.
- Extent and format
- 1 file (163 folios)
The file is arranged chronologically.
- Physical characteristics
Foliation: the main foliation sequence (used for referencing) commences at the front cover with 1, and terminates at the inside back cover with 165; these numbers are written in pencil, are circled, and are located in the top right corner of the recto The front of a sheet of paper or leaf, often abbreviated to 'r'. side of each folio. An additional foliation sequence is present in parallel between ff 2-73; these numbers are also written in pencil, but are not circled, and are located in the same position as the main sequence.
- Written in
- English in Latin script
- Archival file
Archive information for this record
- Original held at
- British Library: India Office The department of the British Government to which the Government of India reported between 1858 and 1947. The successor to the Court of Directors. Records and Private Papers
- Access conditions
- Archive reference
- Former external reference(s)
- 1 Jan 1943-31 Dec 1944 (CE, Gregorian)
Access & Reference
History of this record
Related search terms
Use and share this record
- Share this record
'File 8/16 Bahrain Intelligence Summaries', British Library: India Office Records and Private Papers, IOR/R/15/2/315, in Qatar Digital Library <https://www.qdl.qa/archive/81055/vdc_100000000241.0x00012a> [accessed 18 February 2020]
Copyright: How to use this content
- 'File 8/16 Bahrain Intelligence Summaries'
- front, front-i, 2r:164v, back-i, back
- East India Company, the Board of Control, the India Office, or other British Government Department
- Usage terms
- Open Government Licence